News August 2020
Since April the Hampstead Wells and Campden Trust has distributed over 80 individual grants to families and people in need in our area of benefit. During Covid-19 there has been an increase in requests for grants supporting basic needs such as food and clothing in addition to white goods, children’s items and beds amongst others. The Trust has awarded a large grant of £10,000 to the Young Camden Foundation in order that they can run two summer holiday food hubs in our area of benefit (at Sidings Community Centre and Arc Youth Club). Here is a link to an article in the Ham and High about them.
We have received plenty of feedback from organisations we were able to support with our Emergency Fund on the great use they’ve put the money to. Below is an example of what one organisation (North London Cares) was able to achieve with our additional support:
● Spoken to 62 older neighbours, 216 times , to check-in, catch up, and ask if they need any help or support
● Created, printed and sent #AloneTogether activity packs to 115 older neighbours
● Set up three older neighbours on Zoom , helping them stay connected with their community
● Hosted 93 Zoom Social Clubs , with 56 of them attended by 18 older and younger neighbours . These include our much loved seated yoga and pub club.
● Supported ten one-to-one friendships ; and three new friendships were created during Covid-19
At Sidings Community Centre they purchased vouchers for local families in need with their Emergency Fund grant. Here is some feedback they sent us from the families:
“The vouchers will help aid us in the weekly cost of shopping for food which we would otherwise go without”
“These will make a huge difference as our bills are in arrears from our huge food bills”
“ The vouchers will make a lot of difference …my daughter is eating me out of house and home since lockdown”